We have seen moderate growth in the past few years, as with all of Alberta, and a lot of diversification in our economic base. Traditionally the main base was agriculture, but other industries are becoming large contributors. Oil and gas are a large part of our business base, due to our proximity to Swan Hills, a resource town built on oil and gas, as well as large exploration and pipeline development within our area. We also have exploration and processing of coalbed methane, a biofuel production facility in the neighboring municipality in the works, and forestry with two large lumber mills close by.
We are home to several large manufacturing facilities: Pollard Banknote, a lottery ticket plant, Richardson Milling, which processes barley and oats, CNorthplex, which manufactures modular homes, and many other companies which are large employers in the area. Recreation and tourism opportunities are available too, due to our excellent location near Edmonton as well as a variety of landscapes and excellent water bodies!
Within agriculture, diversification is prevalent, with numerous mixed farming enterprises including grain, peas, hog, beef, dairy, poultry, elk, sheep, goats, ostrich, rhea, purebred cattle, purebred hogs, llamas, alpaca and seed growers. Diversification has expanded to ventures in market gardens, greenhouse vegetables, field vegetables, rhubarb, spice growing, garden nurseries and tree nurseries.
We offer a wide range of retail, shopping and supply outlets and stores, with community-minded service. Our businesses give generously of their time and resources when available to give back to our residents and community!
The following are our major employers and manufacturers in our County. Note that there are also many employment opportunities with public bodies such as Alberta Health Services, Pembina Hills Regional School Division, the Alberta Distance Learning Centre and Learning Technologies Branch.
- Northplex: Modular home builder and modular construction company
- Neeralta Manufacturing: Wide range of abilities to meet the needs of the agricultural, oil and gas, and construction industries
- Pollard Banknote: Generates scratch and win lottery tickets
- Crop Production Services Ltd.: Fertilizer, grain sales and service, chemicals, herbicides
- Richardson Milling: Barley and oat processing
- Barrhead Plastics: Plastic productions
- Breal Metal Buildings & Industrial Insulation Ltd.: Metal buildings, industrial insulation
- GFR Ingredients: Processing food and nutrition supplements such as hemp