Newsletter Signup


Below are our Land Use Bylaw highlights, development permit information, and subdivision circular. We encourage you to contact us whenever you have a land use questi change or are interested in developing to make the process as quick and easy as can be.


County Land Use Bylaw & Municipal Development Plans 

The County of Barrhead Land Use Bylaw highlights the following ideas as it's guide in land use planning:

1. To preserve areas of better agricultural land for agricultural purposes

2. To protect the natural environment

3. To prevent development on hazardous lands

4. To prevent potential health hazards

5. To ensure safe and efficient transportation routes

6. To promote orderly and economical development

7. To prevent inappropriate developments

8. To prevent incompatible land uses from developing in close proximity to each

These and other principles are contained within the Land Use Bylaw. The Land Use Bylaw strives to balance the best use of our limited lands while respecting individual rights and unique situations for the best possible outcome for all! 

The Municipal Development Plan provides policies which encourage diversification of the local economy while encouraging sustainable growth in all areas. The Plan supports the preservation of significant environmental, recreational and historic areas while also encouraging a number of different land use mixes in order to ensure the existing community and future generations have a desirable place to live, work and play.

Development Permits

The County of Barrhead issues development permits. A development permit deals with the use of the land, and permitted structures allowed. Provincial Safety Code permits (building, electrical, plumbing, gas and private sewage) deal with how the structure is built, and what guidelines and codes must be followed. These can be issued by accredited inspectors. See below for more information.

An application for a development permit must include:

  • a completed development permit application form
  • a site plan indicating the setbacks from the property line
  • other buildings on the parcel
  • the size and type of structure
  • residential applications also require a floor plan sketch
  • mobile applications require a picture of the proposed dwelling
  • fees must also be forwarded with the application

If you have further questions, please call our office and ask to speak to the This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.">.

Safety code permits are issued by accredited inspectors recognized by the Province. The County has available a list of inspection agencies authorized by Alberta Municipal Affairs to issue these permits. Click here to link to the Alberta Municipal Affairs Permit information search site. 


Subdivision of Land

Municipal Planning Services Ltd. is the subdivision officer for the County of Barrhead No. 11. Prior to submitting your application, contact the County This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and/or Municipal Planning Services for consultation. This ensures you are aware of and familiar with all of the policies which may affect your application.

A complete application includes:

  1. A completed application form signed by the landowner, including any applicable fees, and

  2. A copy of a sketch plan showing the following:

  1. The legal description, boundaries, dimensions, and size of the existing parcel on land as described on the certificate of title,
  2. The location, dimension, boundaries, and size of the proposed parcel (s), clearly outlining the area to be subdivided,
  3. The location of any buildings, structures and any existing water wells, sewage disposal or pump out sites,
  4. Existing or proposed roads which will service the subdivision,
  5. The location of existing and proposed approaches serving the proposed parcel (s) and remainder of the titled area,
  6. If the proposed lots are to be served by individual wells and private sewage disposal systems, include the type and location of these to existing and proposed buildings and existing and proposed property lines.

To contact Municipal Planning Services Ltd.

By Mail:          208, 17511 107 Ave; 
                       Edmonton, AB T5S 1E5

By Phone:      1-780-486-1991


To review the Subdivision Process Circular, which provides an overview of the subdivision process, click here.

To download the Subdivision Application Form click here