Tax Recovery Process
- If taxes remain unpaid after December 31 of the year that they were imposed, the property is considered "in arrears".
- After more than one year in arrears, a Tax Recovery Notification is registered on Title.
- If arrears are not paid by March 31 of the year following registration of the tax recovery notification, the municipality will offer the parcel for sale at Public Auction.
- At any time, anyone can pay tax arrears owing on the property.
- Once arrears are paid in full:
- Property will be taken off of arrears list
- Tax recovery notification on title will be discharged
- Parcel will not go to Public Auction.
To learn more about the tax recovery process, read the Guide to Tax Recovery in Alberta.
For questions regarding tax recovery in the County of Barrhead, contact County of Barrhead Tax Clerk at 780-674-3331 or email@example.com.
Public Auction Timeline
Note: "Year 1" is the year in which the original unpaid taxes were imposed.
There will be no public auction held in 2022. All parcels on 2022 Tax Recovery List are once again in good standing with the County.
All properties will be auctioned at fair market value, as determined by an assessment of each property & reflected by reserve bid. Parcels offered at Public Auction will be subject to Terms & Conditions of Sale, which may be amended by Council from time to time.
|Legal Description||Acres||Roll Number||
(at time of assessment)
|2023 Assessment||Reserve Bid|
There are NO properties going to public auction in 2022. New properties may be added Fall 2023.
Tax Recovery Properties for Sale
These properties have been to public auction in previous years and were not sold.
County of Barrhead has filed "Tax Forfeiture" on these properties, and they remain for sale.
|(Click Legal Location for more information)|
|Legal Description||Acres||Roll Number||Description (at time of assessment)||2023 Assessment*|
|SE-21-58-5-W5||0.75 Acres||558213019||99 x 330 ft. vacant parcel with no services, although power runs along south boundary of parcel. Land is fully treed, with no approach into parcel.||$9,340|
|1.99 Acres||530043032||1 mile NE of Barrhead, bordering Hwy 18. Parcel previously used for old service station, is currently vacant. Trees along border of parcel with open area for development.||$85,950|
|SE-31-61-5-W5||0.11 Acres||551313031||50 x 100 ft. vacant parcel with no services. Land is fully treed, with no approach into parcel.||$17,590|
|NW-34-58-6-W5||2.30 Acres||568342012||Triangle shaped vacant parcel, adjacent to Lac Ste. Anne County. Land is fully treed, and slopes east to west. No services and no approach into parcel.||$30,320|
|NW-27-60-6-W5||4.45 Acres||560272013||Unserviced parcel 22 miles NW of Barrhead. Land is depressional and fully treed, with area where water runs through center.||$50,070|
* Please note that this shows the tax assessment total of the property, and not the sale price. Sale price of any parcel will be set as close as possible to current market value.
Please contact the County office for more information.