Delegations to Council

  • Font SizeA
  • A
  • A
Residents and stakeholders may want to formally speak to Council on record.  In order to do so, individuals and groups must request attendance as a delegate at a regular Council meeting.
In order that a topic or presentation be added to an agenda, the interested party must contact the County via phone, mail, hand delivery, or email to discuss the nature of the request.  The Executive Assistant to the CAO will be able to guide you as to the best course of action to address a concern, goal, or provide information.
Attn:  Pam Dodds
Executive Assistant to the CAO
5306 49 Street
Barrhead, AB, T7N 1N5
Depending on the nature of the subject matter, public input, feedback or presentations to Council in the form of letters, emails, or in person, may become part of the public record and may be published in a Council agenda package, which is posted on the County of Barrhead website for public viewing.  Matters deemed to fall under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP) will not be made public and will be discussed behind closed doors, termed "In Camera".
Depending on the issue and degree of information provided, Council may decide on an action immediately, or take time for further review.  Clarification on an issue discussed, the decision made or the status of the decision, can be obtained by County administration.

If you feel strongly about a public issue or a local concern, you are encouraged to share your information and thoughts with Council.  As many issues can be resolved at the administrative level, it is recommended that you discuss your concerns with administration prior to appearing before Council.  County staff can provide you with valuable background information on the issue in question and/or recommend appropriate steps to take that may eliminate the need to appear before Council or help set the stage for a meaningful and constructive meeting with Council.
Individuals or groups may request to be heard by Council at a meeting and have their item added to the agenda prior to the meeting.  This is called "coming forward as a delegation".  Important notes before coming forward are:
  • Requests for addition to the agenda must be made at least five (5) business days prior to the date of the requested Council meeting. 
  • Participation in the next upcoming Council meeting is dependent on amount of research required, and may be delayed until the next meeting.
  • Any documents, PowerPoint presentations, etc., which are to be included in the Council package are also required at least five (5) business days prior to the date of the requested Council meeting.
  • Delegations are typically scheduled for 11:30 am or 1:15 pm, at which point the Reeve will call for delegations to come forward and delegations that have made arrangements to be included on the agenda are permitted to address Council. 
  • Following the presentation, delegates may be asked questions by Members of Council.
Persons, groups or organizations wishing to appear before Council as a delegation must submit a completed Delegation Request Form at least five (5) business days prior to the date of the requested Council meeting.

Information on Council Meeting Schedules can be found on the County's Event Calendar.
The Executive Assistant to the CAO will contact delegations to confirm receipt of the request and documents, and schedule the item on an upcoming meeting agenda.
Petitions are written requests that are organized and signed by electors within the County of Barrhead requesting Council to take an action, or to express public opinion to Council.  Petitions that meet all legislative requirements, as outlined in the Municipal Government Act (MGA) can be used to compel Council to take action on specific issues.
Petitions can be made in response to three different matters:
  1. Bylaws - Electors may petition for a new bylaw, or to amend or repeal a bylaw or resolution.
  2. Advertised Bylaws and Resolutions - Electors may petition against advertised bylaws and resolutions.
  3. Local Improvements - Property owners can petition for a local improvement.  Property owners affected by a proposed local improvement can petition against the local improvement.
Under the MGA, a petition must have the signatures of at least ten percent of the municipality's population to be considered valid.  In the County of Barrhead, that would mean approximately 630 signatures from County residents.
If you cannot achieve these numbers, the County cannot accept or consider your petition.  Instead, you can have a letter of support signed by those who agree with your position.
If you can achieve the support needed for a petition, be sure to contact the Executive Assistant to the CAO for direction before seeking signatures.  There are strict rules for signatures under Alberta's MGA, and your petition cannot be considered if it does not follow these requirements.