Planning (Subdivision and Development) Applications & Forms

  • Font SizeA
  • A
  • A
The following are application forms commonly used in the Planning & Development Department. Questions regarding applications can be directed to the Development Department at 780-674-3331. 

Anyone wishing to subdivide land, change the existing land use designation or submit an area structure plan will be required to submit the necessary application forms and supporting information found below.  A guide to subdivisions is also available.

Completed applications and supporting documentation can be dropped off at the County Office during regular business hours or emailed to
Please note that cheques are the only means of payment accepted for subdivisions.  Cheques must be made payable to "Municipal Planning Services".
A development permit is required for any new development on a property within the county.  This includes, new structures, additions to existing structures/change in footprint of an existing structure, and moving a structure on to a property.
The development permit application must be filled and returned with the following:
  • Site plan: a drawing of the location of the structure on the parcel of land showing setbacks (distances) from existing buildings as well as from property lines
  • Floor plan:  a drawing of the planned floor plan for the structure
  • Associated fee:  Payment can be made in person via cash, interac or cheque, by mail via cheque, or e transfer to  Please refer to the Schedule of Fees, Charges & Payment Rates.
Completed applications can be dropped off at the County Office during regular business hours or emailed to
A Compliance Letter is a document from the County of Barrhead confirming  that all buildings and structures on a parcel, as identified on a submitted Real Property Report (RPR), have met the regulations under the Zoning Bylaw and have the appropriate development permits.

About the Service

The Alberta Land Surveyor's Real Property Report is reviewed by a Development Officer to see if it meets the current Zoning Bylaw regulations and that development permits have been issued for all buildings and structures shown.
The Real Property Report (RPR) must be prepared and signed by a Certified Alberta Land Surveyor.  The RPR must show:
  • All existing buildings and structures on the property, including fences and sheds,
  • The distances from existing buildings and structures to property lines,
  • The date of the survey,
  • The address and legal description of the property, and
  • it also must be stamped with the surveyor's seal.
If everything complies with the parcel's current Zoning Bylaw and if all of the buildings and/or structures shown on the Real Property Report have the required permits, the Compliance Letter will indicate that everything complies.

Nonconforming Structures

If the buildings and/or structures on a property have permits according to a prior Zoning Bylaw requirement, but fail to meet current Zoning Bylaw requirements, the applicant will receive a Compliance Letter indicating that their buildings and/or structures are nonconforming.

In this situation, the appropriate permits are in place and no further action is required.

Correcting Identified Issues

 If the appropriate permits or encroachment agreements for some of the structures have not been applied for, the Compliance Letter will identify the issues and what actions the applicant must take to correct the issue (ie, apply for an encroachment agreement, remove the structure, apply for permits, et cetera).

Obtaining the Service

Before you apply, ensure a Real Property Report (RPR) is ready to be issued by a Certified Alberta Land Surveyor.
Requests for Compliance Letter can be made in writing to, or by faxing a written request to 780-674-2777.  Ensure that the Real Property Report for the parcel in question is attached to the request.
Once reviewed, the applicant will receive a copy of the Compliance Letter via email or fax from the County of Barrhead.

Payment Options

 Payment can be made by in person with cash, interac or cheque, by mail via cheque, or by e transfer to


Compliance Letters are $50.00 per property (exclusive of GST).