Information for Candidates
Being a member of Council is a challenging and rewarding experience. This is your opportunity to have your voice heard and represent the best interests of the residents of the County of Barrhead. If elected as a member of Council, you will have the opportunity to help shape the future of your municipality.
NEW for 2021!!! Nominations for Councillors will be accepted by the Returning Officer until 12:00 p.m. (noon) on Monday, September 20th, 2021.
These resources are meant to assist individuals that are interested in seeking municipal office for the County of Barrhead in the 2021 Municipal Election.
The information provided is general in nature and has been prepared as solely a reference for candidates. The candidate is responsible for ensuring that the nomination papers filed meet the requirements of the Local Authorities Election Act.
- A Candidate's Guide: Running for Municipal Office in Alberta
- County of Barrhead Candidate / Councillor Information Guide
- Nomination Paper and Candidate's Acceptance - Form 4
- Candidate Information - Form 5
- Roles and Responsibilities of Municipal Officials
- Cash Deposits on Municipal Elections (Bylaw 24-1995)
- Municipal Affairs - Pecuniary Interest for Municipal Councillors
- Campaign Disclosure Statement and Financial Statement - Form 26
Nominations for Council will be accepted by the Returning Officer at County of Barrhead Administration Office (5306 - 49th Street Barrhead), beginning on January 4, 2021 until 12:00 p.m. (noon) on September 20, 2021. The Returning Officer is unable to accept nominations after 12:00 p.m. (noon) on Nomination Day. Facsimiles and electronically submitted copies will not be accepted.
If a candidate wishes to withdraw their nomination papers, a written notice must be provided to the Returning Officer no later than 12:00 p.m. (noon), September 21, 2021.
For any questions or inquiries regarding County of Barrhead's municipal election, please contact:
Pam Dodds, Returning Officer